457 Visa
The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years. You must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work. You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.
▪Approved occupations
You must work in a skilled occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government.
The list of eligible occupations is available on the Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i). This list includes a number (an ANZSCO Code) next to each occupation title.
You can use this code to find a more detailed description of the qualifications and experience required for each of the eligible occupations from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
▪Skill requirements
You need to show that you have the skills and experience necessary to work in the nominated occupation. If your nominated occupation is a trade occupation, you might need to do a skills assessment. The Trades Recognition Australia website has more information on which occupations require an assessment. If your nominated occupation is ‘Project and Program Administrator or Specialist Manager not elsewhere classified’, you will need to a skills assessment for migration purposes. The VETASSESS website has more information. You cannot use a VETASSESS skills assessment that you have had for a Skilled General (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) in your application for this visa.
▪Registration and licensing
If requested by your visa processing case officer, you must provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority that you hold, or will be able to meet, the registration or licensing requirements to work in your nominated occupation. Your approved sponsor should be able to provide you with the necessary licensing and registration information.
▪English language requirements
It is important that you can speak, write and understand a sufficient level of English while you are in Australia. We use the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Occupational English Test (OET) to determine your level of English language proficiency.
▪Health requirements
You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.
▪Health insurance
▪Character requirements

Free Assessment